Original artwork raises more than $15,500 in support of kidney disease research
FREDERICTON, Dec. 10, 2012 /CNW/ - The Kidney Foundation in collaboration with UPS Canada worked together to help raise funds for kidney research. A Brush of Hope is a fundraising event where Canadian celebrities paint original pieces of art which are then put up for auction. This year's celebrity artists included: Leonard Cohen, Biff Naked, Tegan Quin of Tegan & Sara, Natalie MacMaster, Ashley MacIsaac, Alannah Myles, Mike Smith "Bubbles" of Trailer Park Boys, Jayne Eastwood and Bret "The Hitman" Hart.
"It is with the support of UPS Canada, our Canadian celebrities and the contributions and donations from people around the world that we are one step closer to finding a cure for kidney disease," says Linda Garwood, The Kidney Foundation Office Manager.
The Canadian celebrities' masterpieces were on display at various galleries in Atlantic Canada from October 18- 28. Residents in Saint John and Fredericton, NB and St. John's, NFLD were able to view them in person. Those who were unable to attend the galleries could see and bid on the paintings through eBay. Some of the celebrities participating in the charity have a personal connection to The Kidney Foundation."In 1990, I lost my dear brother Dean to kidney disease and it has always been a cause my entire family and I have always supported. Having a chance to put brush to canvas, in order to benefit such a worthy cause, has allowed me to create what I like to think is 'happy art', simple artwork that can express hope and happiness for those battling kidney disease," said Bret "The Hitman" Hart, Wrestler. "I will continue to proudly support one of the worthiest causes that gives hope to those in need with kidney disease. Thank you for letting me be part of such a noble crusade."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV