WUXI, China, Dec. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Suntech Power Holdings Co., Ltd. (NYSE: STP), one of the world's largest producers of solar panels, has announced that it will supply approximately 100 megawatts (MW) of solar panels for two projects that are being developed, built and operated by a consortium led by Mainstream Renewable Power in South Africa. The projects, which are being developed at two separate sites in the Northern Cape of South Africa, will be designed and constructed by Siemens and will be operational by mid-2014.
David King, Suntech's CEO, said, "We are excited to be partnering with Mainstream Renewable Power, one of the world's leading developers of renewable energy projects, and Siemens, which is renowned for its engineering and implementation expertise. These landmark projects will showcase the ability of solar to provide clean and sustainable energy to South African communities."
The projects will use Suntech's V series modules, which are well-suited for utility-scale power plant installations. The solar systems are expected to generate 180 gigawatt-hours of electricity, enough to power approximately 15,000 households and displace approximately 180,000 tons of carbon emissions per year.
Eddie O'Connor, Chief Executive of Mainstream Renewable Power, said, "Suntech's proven track record of powering utility-scale power plants, reliable technology and their global support network were central to our decision to partner with them. With quality components and engineering, we are confident these projects will demonstrate the capabilities of solar energy in South Africa and set the foundation for a sustainable future."O'Connor added, "I first visited Suntech's manufacturing facility in Wuxi in early 2010 and the quality of technology focus and ability to maintain a high level power output throughout the project lifecycle were key considerations in our technology choice."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV