Most adverse events (AEs) were Grade 1 or 2 in severity, with the most common attributed to ibrutinib being diarrhea, fatigue, nausea and rash. Adverse hematologic events were relatively infrequent. In patients with cytopenia (low blood cell counts) at the beginning of the study, sustained improvements of platelet counts (78 percent) and hemoglobin (82 percent) were seen after treatment. There was no evidence of cumulative toxicity or long-term safety concerns.
Oral presentation 187, The BTK inhibitor ibrutinib (PCI-32765) in combination with rituximab is well tolerated and displays profound activity in high-risk chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) patients Jan A. Burger, M.D., Ph.D., MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
This presentation was based on findings from a Phase 2, single-center trial with 40 patients with HR CLL treated with 420 mg/day ibrutinib in combination with rituximab, a current standard CLL therapy. Patients with HR disease were previously treated and had one of the following characteristics: deletion of a part of chromosome 17 (del17p), which is associated with poorer treatment outcomes; a gene mutation called TP53; del11q, another partial chromosome deletion associated with poorer outcomes; or a short remission duration (less than three years) after first-line chemo-immunotherapy.
The results after a follow-up of three to six months are:
- The ORR was 83 percent
- 38 of 40 patients continue on therapy without disease progression
- 95 percent of all patients and 90 percent of patients with del17p had not progressed
- There was a large and rapid reduction in lymph node and spleen sizes, with 84 percent of patients (26/31) experiencing more than a 50 percent decrease in lymph node size
- Treatment was well tolerated overall, with Grade 3 or Grade 4 toxicities infrequent and transient in nature, including febrile neutropenia (fever with low white blood cell count), anemia, mucositis and pneumonia, in this clinical study
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts