ACE Limited (NYSE:ACE) announced today that preliminary losses in the fourth quarter for the ACE Group of companies attributable to Superstorm Sandy in the northeastern United States are currently estimated to be $380 million after tax, net of reinsurance and including reinstatement premiums. This estimate includes losses generated from the company’s commercial and personal property and casualty insurance businesses as well as its reinsurance operations. Due to the size and complexity of the storm and related losses, the estimate is subject to change.
The company is updating full-year 2012 guidance to reflect the catastrophe losses and other adjustments currently projected for the quarter. The range is now $7.43 to $7.53 per share of after-tax operating income (1) for the year.
The ACE Group is one of the world’s largest multiline property and casualty insurers. With operations in 53 countries, ACE provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to a diverse group of clients. ACE Limited, the parent company of the ACE Group, is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: ACE) and is a component of the S&P 500 index. Additional information can be found at: www.acegroup.com.
(1) Non-GAAP Financial Measure:Operating income or income excluding net realized gains (losses), net of tax is a common performance measurement for insurance companies. We believe this presentation enhances the understanding of our results of operations by highlighting the underlying profitability of our insurance business. We exclude net realized gains (losses) and net realized gains (losses) included in other income (expense) related to partially-owned entities because the amount of these gains (losses) is heavily influenced by, and fluctuates in part according to, the availability of market opportunities. Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements: Forward-looking statements made in this press release, such as those related to company performance and guidance, reflect ACE Limited’s current views with respect to future events and financial performance and reports, and are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements involve risks and uncertainties, which may cause actual results to differ materially from those set forth in these statements. Among other things, the forward-looking statements concerning net after-tax losses and guidance could be affected by the number of insureds and ceding companies affected by the relevant catastrophes, the amount and timing of losses actually incurred and reported by insureds, the preliminary nature of reports and estimates of loss to date, impact on the company's reinsurers, the amount and timing of reinsurance recoverables actually received, coverage and regulatory issues, and other factors identified in the company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date on which they are made. The company undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV