Talk about a power-building workout: Guests of Element Hotels now can pedal their way to a fully charged tablet or smart phone. First announced at the spring 2012 launch of its Miami hotel, the eco-wise, trailblazing brand of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT) has installed a stationary bike with a pedal-powered generator in each of its fitness centers. The initiative marries two Element brand principles: providing health and fitness options for travelers and a commitment to green design.
The Power of Pedaling: Element Hotels Installs Pedal-Powered Charging Stations in Fitness Centers Brand-wide (Photo: Business Wire)
The pilot to Element’s Pedal for Power program, unveiled at Element Miami International Airport’s opening event, saw bicycling enthusiast and Starwood president and CEO Frits van Paasschen join associates in a pedal-pushing effort that generated enough electricity to power up flat-screen plasma monitors and laptops for a virtual ribbon-cutting.
According to Brian McGuinness, Senior Vice President of Specialty Select Brands for Starwood, “The Element brand was founded on an innovative, balanced-living approach to hospitality. Not only do our pedal-powered bikes add an element of fun to a workout, but they also encourage our guests to think creatively about sourcing the energy we all depend on to fuel our daily lives.”
The new power-generating bikes are just the latest in a series of design features and amenities that enhance the wellbeing of Element guests while offering them tools to be productive and active. Fitness centers are well equipped and open 24 hours. Saline pools and bikes to borrow are available to give travelers added incentive to get up and go. Other tenets of the brand’s commitment to balanced living on the road include the following:
- Guest rooms and public spaces are designed to be bathed in natural daylight, as guests’ mood and productivity are improved in a well-lit environment.
- Complimentary RISE breakfast offers healthy options including egg white wraps and fruit smoothies.
- Seamless connectivity is offered via free Wi-Fi in public spaces and in guest rooms, which also include ergonomic chairs at workstations.
- Guests can work, relax and fuel up on their own schedules, with kitchens in every room and a fully stocked 24/7 grab and go gourmet pantry.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV