Silicon Image (NASDAQ: SIMG), a leading provider of HD connectivity solutions, today announced the UltraGig™ 6400, a complete WirelessHD transmitter for mobile devices that integrates a 60GHz RF transceiver, baseband processor, and embedded antenna array into a single IC package. Specifically designed for smartphones and tablets, this ultra-low power transmitter enables robust high-definition wireless video connectivity between portable devices and large displays, delivering a cable-quality connection without wires. The UltraGig 6400 mobile 60GHz WirelessHD transmitter is currently sampling to mobile device manufacturers.
“By 2015, smartphones and tablets are estimated to represent a $3 billion+ market for wireless connectivity ICs,” said Peter Cooney practice director, semiconductors, at ABI Research. “Driven by the use of mobile products for gaming and other interactive video applications, there is increased consumer demand for connecting these powerful devices to large displays and televisions. Consumers will expect wireless connections to provide the same experience as a wired solution. The UltraGig 6400 is well positioned to meet this emerging market need.”
The UltraGig 6400 combines the intelligent beam-forming technology of a 60GHz RF transceiver with an embedded antenna array to enable a secure, high-bandwidth video link to WirelessHD-compliant receivers and displays, thereby eliminating all interference with Wi-Fi-based solutions.
The integrated high-performance baseband network processor ensures that high-quality HD video can be transmitted with near-zero latency and without consuming host processor resources. This approach is ideally suited for mobile gaming and interactive video applications.The device is designed for low power operation, with all components in an easy-to-integrate, ultra-small form factor 10mm x 7mm package. This simplifies system integration and eliminates the need for discrete antenna placement. Key features of the UltraGig 6400 include:
- WirelessHD 1.1 compliant RF transceiver and baseband processor
- Integrated in-package 60GHz antenna array
- Ultra-low end-to-end system latency of less than 5ms
- 500mW typical power consumption
- Support for video resolutions up to 1080p full HD with multi-channel audio
- Standard video and control interfaces to popular mobile application processors
- Fully compatible with Silicon Image Gen3 and all WirelessHD 1.1 compliant receivers
- Integrated MHL 2.0 compliant transmitter for optional wired HD video connections