NEW YORK -- American International Group Inc. (AIG) says it will sell up to 90% of its airplane leasing unit International Lease Finance Corp. to an investor group led by Weng Xianding, chairman of New China Trust Co. Ltd., for approximately $5.28 billion.
The investor group, which includes New China Trust, China Aviation Industrial Fund and P3 Investments Ltd., will acquire 80.1% of ILFC for approximately $4.23 billion, with an option for an additional 9.9% stake. AIG will keep at least 10% of the company.
ILFC will remain based in Los Angeles. The agreement needs approval from U.S. and Chinese regulatory authorities.
New York-based AIG has been selling off subsidiaries to raise money to pay back its $182 billion bailout from the government during the economic meltdown.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV