Cook didn't say which computers Apple would make in the U.S., or where the company might locate new facilities. But bringing assembly-line jobs back to the U.S. lights a symbolic beacon of hope for working-class Americans who may worry that the global economy has no use for them.
Why is Wall Street losing its appetite for Apple?
This holiday season is shaping up to be a record-breaking period for Apple as shoppers snap up iPhones and iPads. So, why is the world's most valuable company losing its luster with investors?Shares have plunged nearly 25 percent since Sept. 21, the day Apple began selling the iPhone 5 and the day its shares hit an all-time peak of $705.07. Apple's abrupt descent is fueling a debate: Is the stock now a bargain? Or is the sell-off justified because the company has entered a phase of less innovation and slower revenue growth? Disagreements over the issue are contributing to unusual volatility in the stock. ___ Super-clear format can puncture 'Hobbit' fantasy One thought struck a reporter watching the new "Hobbit" movie in the latest super-clear format: "The rain looks fake. It's not hitting their faces!" That is just one consequence of filmmaker Peter Jackson's decision to shoot his epic, three-part "Lord of the Rings" prequel with a frame rate of 48 images per second, double the 24 that cinemagoers have experienced for the past century. The higher frame rate is supposed to make fast action scenes look smoother, without strobing or other cinematic flaws. But the image is so crystal clear that it can dispel the illusion of the fantasy world. ___ Legal pot complicates drug-free work policies Pot may be legal, but workers may want to check with their boss first before they grab the pipe or a joint during off-hours.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV