Academy Award Maker Plans Layoffs In Chicago
Siegel said R.S. Owens will start work on the Oscar statues soon in advance of the Feb. 24 show. But right now, the factory is producing, among other things, trophies for this year's Cotton Bowl.
Part of the labor cost problem, Siegel said, is the time spent polishing the statues by hand.
"Just on the statuette, there's over an hour of polishing," he said, "and on the base there's probably 45 minutes of polishing."
St. Regis President Richard Firkser said that labor-intensive process is part of the reason his company is buying R.S. Owens."It's really the workmanship of the artisans in Chicago that make it happen," he said. "Unfortunately, it doesn't make economic sense to hire back each and every employee." Firkser said he doesn't know yet how many will be rehired, and he declined to say how much St. Regis is paying for R.S. Owens. The Owens name will continue to be used for the Oscars and other products made in Chicago. An email request for comment sent by The Associated Press to The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was not returned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV