Corn, Other Grains Fall On Supply Worries
By The Associated Press
Corn and other grain prices closed lower Friday as traders worried about weak exports and shipping troubles along the Mississippi River.
March corn fell 14.25 cents, or 2 percent, to settle at $7.3725 a bushel.
Soybeans also fell. The January contract lost 19 cents, or 1 percent, to end at $14.7225 a bushel.Sterling Smith, futures specialist at Citi in Chicago, said there was continuing fallout on corn prices from the very weak export report issued by the Department of Agriculture Thursday. Very dry conditions have also led to low water levels and restrictions on the amount of cargo that can be carried on barges on the Mississippi. Traders worry that U.S. corn is already facing tough competition from low-priced grain from South America. "There's a continuing hangover from yesterday's export report," Smith said. "Today, there wasn't really anyone looking to buy." In other commodities trading, copper rebounded following a drop the day before when the European Central Bank cut its forecast for growth in the euro region for next year. Copper for March delivery rose 1.85 cents to $3.6630 a pound. Other metals futures also rose. Gold for February delivery rose $3.70 to $1,705.50 an ounce. March silver rose 1.70 cents to $33.131 an ounce and January platinum rose $6.30 to $1,607 an ounce. March palladium rose 95 cents to $698 an ounce. In energy trading, benchmark oil dropped 33 cents to finish at $85.93 per barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. Heating oil fell 2.79 cents to finish at $2.9153 per gallon; wholesale gasoline rose less than a penny to end at $2.5974 per gallon and natural gas fell 11.5 cents to finish at $3.551 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV