Harry Winston Shares Slide After Fiscal 3Q Report
By The Associated Press
Shares of Harry Winston Diamond Corp. slid Friday, a day after the Canadian company reported a profit in its fiscal third quarter but said slower growth could affect the holiday season.
THE SPARK: The Toronto company said Thursday that it earned $3.4 million, or 4 cents per share, in the three months that ended Oct. 31. That contrasts with a loss of $4.7 million, or 6 cents per share, in last year's quarter. Revenue soared 51 percent to $180.4 million.
Sales from the company's mining segment more than doubled to $84.8 million due to an increase in the volume of carats sold during the quarter offset partially by rough diamond prices. The company also said it saw strong growth in bridal jewelry sales.Harry Winston cautioned that European economic uncertainty, softening consumer demand in China and U.S. budget policy issues will likely lead to slower near-term growth. THE BACKGROUND: Harry Winston supplies rough diamonds through its ownership stake in the Diavik diamond mine. The company's luxury brand segment is a diamond jeweler and luxury time piece retailer with locations in New York, Paris, London and Tokyo, among other cities. THE ANALYSIS: Citi analyst Oliver Chen said in a research that the company's results topped his expectation for 2 cents per share, and luxury sales growth was "solid" globally. SHARE ACTION: Down 1.7 percent, or 24 cents, to $14.17 in Friday afternoon trading. Its shares have traded in a 52-week range of $9.51 to $15.92 over the past year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV