Schottenfeld's letter comes at a crucial time for Barnes & Noble, Nook and Microsoft. With just week's left in the holiday season, both Nook and Microsoft face stiff competition in their tablet offerings.
Microsoft also is getting into the mix with the launch of its Surface tablet, which is hoped to push the software giant into the consumer hardware market and put its Windows 8 launch in direct competition with Apple's iOS and Google's Android.
Meanwhile, questions on Barnes & Nobles finances and Nook's viability as a competitive alternative to Amazon, Apple or Google Android-powered products remain hazy.Barnes & Noble missed second quarter earnings in late November, as revenue fell short of analyst estimates and Nook sales rose over 5% to $160 million, reversing declines in previous quarters. On the upside, Nook sales benefitted from a doubling of Thanksgiving weekend sales, fueled by promotional offerings at Target (TGT) and Wal-Mart Stores (WMT), who've both dropped selling the Amazon Kindle. While its to be seen how in demand Nook tablets or Microsoft's Windows 8 are this holiday season, Schottenfeld's letter indicates a Nook spinoff would be a welcome gift for the new year. Barnes & Noble shares were rising nearly 2% to $14,87 in Friday afternoon trading after Schottenfeld's letter was made public. Year-to-date Barnes & Noble shares have gained just over 2%, erasing dramatic gains after the early May Microsoft deal was announced on investor concern over Nook's competitiveness in the tablet market. Follow @agara2004 -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV