Renewables can also fill the gap when the grid goes down. Companies that usually sell solar systems to small businesses and homes, like Consolidated Power of Albuquerque, N.M., jumped into the breach after Hurricane Sandy and brought solar generators to affected areas, writes GreenTech Media. There are 10 Kw generators for powering phones and hand tools, and 20 Kw generators for powering cell towers.
The story reminds me of what happened in communications after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. WiFi operators were able to get the data flowing much, much faster than the phone company was able to.
The International Renewable Energy Agency, based in Abu Dhabi, has run the numbers and concluded renewables should be the default option for providing power beyond the reach of current electrical grids. Solar is more flexible, biomass is more available and wind is more stable than running new wires.
Where there are no wires, or where the wires have gone down, the growth ceiling for renewable energy is now unlimited. When these re-sellers grow up they will make smart investments.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV