Wells Fargo has been a much stronger and more stable earner through the credit crisis and beyond. The company's operating returns on average assets have increased from 1.27% to 1.46% over the past five quarters, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight, and its third-quarter efficiency ratio was 57.55.
Wells Fargo had 267,000 full-time equivalent employees as of Sept. 30, and bucked the trend, with headcount increasing from 263,800 a year earlier.
-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla.
>Contact by Email.Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV