The touchscreen device I demoed this week, known as a Dev Alpha B in the RIM developer community, had a slightly larger form factor than the iPhone 5. This, however, could be the result of the prototype casing surrounding the RIM phone.
Intriguingly, though, the device seemed to weigh a similar amount as the 3.95-ounce iPhone 5.
RIM has also sent a Dev Alpha C phone out into its developer community, which features a QWERTY keyboard.
Last month, the handset maker confirmed that its BlackBerry 10 devices will debut at a launch event on Jan. 30, 2013, prompting speculation that the gadgets will be available shortly after.There was heated debate about the potential impact of BlackBerry 10 during TheStreet's live blog of RIM's second-quarter results, with commenters clashing over whether the new OS can turn RIM's fortunes around. Some 57.42% of respondents to TheStreet's recent poll on the subject said that RIM will find salvation in BlackBerry 10. Just over 33% of respondents believe that this is unlikely, noting that the company's problems are too big. Weighed down by fierce competition from Apple's iPhone, Google (GOOG) Android devices, and delayed product launches, RIM's shares have plunged more than 29% over the past 12 months. The stock, however, enjoyed a modest rally recently, buoyed by positive analyst sentiment ahead of the BlackBerry 10 launch. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV