Overall, IBM's numbers were good but not great. However, as noted, it shows just how well its model can perform in tough economic climates. Imagine what these numbers might have been if corporate IT spending was in a full mode of recovery.
HP and Dell should take a lesson.
Clearly there continues to be fundamental challenges at both HP and Dell, and none are quick fixes. Both companies must focus on finding new ways to grow their high-margin segments, which include networking and storage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV