By STEVE ROTHWELL
The housing market is recovering from its collapse to such an extent that it will be one of the key drivers of the economy next year, and could add as much as 1 percentage point to growth, says Liz Ann Sonders, chief investment strategist at Charles Schwab & Co. Inc.
A recovery in U.S. manufacturing, supported by better demand from emerging markets and improved consumer spending, will also contribute to growth. Those factors will be enough to counter the headwind of declining government spending.
There are several positives heading toward 2013. Confidence among U.S. homebuilders last month rose to its highest level in six and a half years. That's important because the housing sentiment index typically leads changes in the unemployment rate by about 15 months, Schwab estimates.Also, stock valuations are reasonable, says Sonders. That, combined with the improving economy, should support stock markets next year. Here are some excerpts from an interview with Sonders: Q: What are the main themes investors should keep an eye on in 2013? A: The economy has a couple of very important pockets of strength heading into the New Year. Housing is probably dominant among them, which I think really starts to feed into job growth and continues to feed into consumer confidence. Domestic energy obviously is a big story. The renewed competitiveness of U.S. manufacturing is a big story. So, all of those, I think start to support the economy and serve as pretty decent offsets to whatever the hit is from the "fiscal cliff." Housing will be a bigger driver of improvement in the labor market in 2013 than has been the case. It's really just starting to kick in from a jobs perspective. The biggest job gains during the last up-cycle came from the housing bubble, in everything from construction to related industries, and that's starting to kick in again.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV