Survey: Sandy Further Weakened Small Biz Hiring
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Superstorm Sandy is still affecting hiring at small businesses.
A survey by the National Federation of Independent Business released Thursday shows that nationwide, the number of workers in small businesses fell by 0.04 workers in November. In October the number rose by 0.02 workers.
NFIB Chief Economist William Dunkelberg called Sandy's impact on hiring "substantial."
The results are in line with a report Wednesday from payroll services company ADP. It said small businesses hired 19,000 workers last month, the smallest amount this year.The NFIB, which lobbies on behalf of small businesses, questioned 733 of its members in the survey. A small piece of good news in the survey was a 1 percentage point increase in the number of businesses planning to hire. But only 5 percent had such plans.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV