News Summary: Going Over The 'fiscal Cliff'
The Associated Press
OVER THE CLIFF: The dealmakers who warn that a year-end plunge off the "fiscal cliff" â¿¿ the automatic increases in taxes and cuts in government spending scheduled for next year â¿¿ would be disastrous don't seem to be rushing to stop it.
THE WHY: Some lawmakers argue that briefly going over the cliff is the best way to force a compromise.
THE RISK: The Congressional Budget Office predicts that the fiscal cliff policies, if left unchecked too long after the new year, would spark a recession later in 2013 and send the unemployment rate above 9 percent by fall.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV