American Airlines And Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport Launch Sustainability Alliance To Reduce Environmental Footprint
FORT WORTH, Texas, Dec. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines and Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport ( DFW Airport) today announced a partnership to help improve their collective environmental footprint. Through the newly formed Sustainability Alliance, the organizations will identify opportunities for innovation in airport operations, resulting in economic and environmental benefits for American, DFW Airport and their customers.
Ongoing communication through the alliance and its formalized council will provide a forum for better coordination of environmental initiatives, allowing American and DFW Airport to enhance their ability to become more sustainable.
"Being good stewards of the environment is a commitment that our people take very seriously, and it is because of their efforts that our alliance with DFW Airport was formed," said David Campbell, American's Vice President – Safety, Security and Environmental. "As leaders in the aviation sector, we recognize the importance of taking an active role in working with our business partners to achieve positive results. We look forward to expanding our relationship, and we are confident that this is the beginning of a long-term success story."
American's Corporate Environmental Department and DFW Airport recently worked together to expand the airline's onboard recycling program. American's flight attendants began the industry's first onboard recycling program in 1989 and have since recycled more than 12 million aluminum cans each year, approximately the weight of four new Boeing 737 aircraft. Through the alliance, the program is now able to support collection of paper, plastic cups and bottles. Flight attendants also collect and recycle corks from wine bottles."Our airport has long demonstrated an industry-leading commitment to sustainability, including more than a decade of investment in enterprise-wide sustainable practices ranging from alternative fuel vehicle fleets to responsible management of emissions, water and energy," said Jeffrey P. Fegan, CEO of DFW Airport. "We are very pleased to join with our great partners at American Airlines to collaborate on more and better ways to practice environmental stewardship and sustainability across all phases of our operations." American and DFW Airport are hosting a "Flying Sustainably" Expo today at the airport to showcase their joint and individual environmental initiatives. American's dedication to being a positive steward of the environment in all aspects of its operations is a longstanding commitment. Several of the airline's subject-matter experts and program leaders will be at the expo to share background information and success stories about the following initiatives, among others:
- Fuel Smart: Thanks to the dedication of American's people, more than 700 million gallons of fuel have been saved and 7 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions have been eliminated since the program began in 2005 – the equivalent of removing 1.23 million cars from the road.
- Fleet renewal: In July 2011, American placed the largest aircraft order in aviation history: 460 narrowbody jets from Boeing and Airbus, to be delivered in 2013 through 2022. These new aircraft will provide significant environmental benefits compared to the aircraft they will replace.
- ecoDemonstrator program: Boeing's ecoDemonstrator program, established through the FAA's Continuous Lower Energy Emissions Noise (CLEEN) program, aims to accelerate the advancement of environmental technologies. American is the first airline to participate in the initial test phase, and in August 2012, American allowed Boeing to borrow one of its new 737-800 aircraft to flight-test emerging technologies in the areas of fuel efficiency, noise reduction and operational efficiency.
- Paperless cockpit initiative: In August 2012, American became the first commercial carrier to receive FAA approval to use the Apple iPad as an Electronic Flight Bag in the cockpit during all phases of flight and will be the first domestic airline to have an all-electronic flight bag operation by the end of 2012. This initiative will mean an estimated $1.2 million in annual savings.
- Vehicle Emissions: DFW's vehicle fleet has been almost completely converted to clean burning compressed natural gas (CNG), saving DFW millions in fuel costs and cutting the airport's carbon emissions by more than 95 percent since 2000.
- Energy: DFW's adoption of "continuous commissioning" to fine-tune building heating and cooling systems has significantly lowered energy consumption across the airport.
- Energy: In the summer, DFW takes its air conditioning systems offline during peak demand hours and cools six million square feet of terminal space with super-cooled water pumped from its Energy Plaza, freeing enough electricity back to the grid to power thousands of local homes.
- Water: New plumbing fixtures in bathrooms across all five airport terminals have cut DFW's customer water usage by 50 percent, saving 5.5 million gallons of water each month.
- Recycling: Almost half of the materials pulled from the airport's terminal renovation project have been recycled or diverted from landfills.
- Renewable Energy: Currently, about 30 percent of DFW's annual electric usage comes from renewable sources, and that number is growing as DFW seeks more renewable sources of energy such as wind power.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV