Getting Through the Marital Minefield
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Q: My husband and I are having the most ridiculous arguments lately. I've noticed it becoming a "go-to" tactic for him and I'm not sure why, but it's really getting to me and wearing me down.
A: There's nothing wrong with occasional fights between partners.
However, relationship issues multiply when fighting becomes the the expected mode of communication. This familiar battling debilitates rather than promotes a couple's bond.
When two people become part of a couple, they need to be wary of using their spouse to discharge daily frustrations and life stressors, because that's often where a relationship suffers most.I would speculate that you feel more comfortable taking out your frustrations on one another rather than risking conflict with less familiar people. I get that it feels easier to do this with a loved one, but it just doesn't work. Tips to quieting/navigating the battlefield:
An argument arises between you and your partner. Stop and ask whether the topic is relative to your relationship or outside forces.
Should this conversation happen now? Is your present state of mind conducive to a constructive conversation or are you too angry?
Do your viewpoints really differ, or are you arguing just to argue?
Are you really listening and actually HEARING your partner's point of view?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV