The developmental plan will be comprised of preclinical testing in cell lines to determine the inhibitory effects of Liposomal Grb-2 on cell growth and invasion. From there, preclinical studies in TNBC and IBC animal models would study Liposomal Grb-2 suppressive effects on tumor growth and tumor metastasis in these cancers. If the preclinical studies confirm benefit, Bio-Path anticipates that it would then proceed to a Phase I clinical trial. The Phase I trial could progress relatively quickly since the toxicity profile of Liposomal Grb-2 is already being established in the Company’s current Phase I trial in blood cancers. The preclinical programs are expected to start in 2013 and last one year, after which time the Phase I clinical trial could begin after FDA approval to proceed.
The plan is for Dr. Naoto T. Ueno, M.D., Ph.D., to be the lead researcher for the preclinical studies, which will be conducted at the MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Ueno is a Professor at the MD Anderson Cancer Center, Executive Director of the Morgan Welch Inflammatory Breast Cancer Program and Chief, Section of Translational Breast Cancer Research.
“The potential of Liposomal Grb-2 as a frontline treatment for triple negative breast cancer and inflammatory breast cancer is a major new development for Bio-Path that has the opportunity to produce substantial value for the Company. Successful development of these applications will be of great benefit to TNBC and IBC patients who are afflicted with these two very aggressive forms of breast cancer. Further, the treatment goal for tumor inhibition and reduction in a pre-operative setting provides a potential pathway for rapid approval by the FDA of Liposomal Grb-2, while the longer term effects of controlling or eliminating metastasis will build long term use of our drug,” commented Peter Nielsen, President and Chief Executive Officer of Bio-Path.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV