The companies resume their $1 billion patent fight over technology rights. Samsung is seeking to overturn a verdict ordering it to pay Apple $1 billion for copying Apple's iPhone and iPad designs. Apple, on the other hand, wants to add $500 million more to the award and have older Samsung products in question prohibited from being sold in the U.S.
There are also a number of other issues involved in the latest dispute. Samsung alleges it was untreated unfairly in a courtroom that, located near Apple's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters, sided with its opposition. Samsung has a host of other complaints -- including jury misconduct and the argument that some of Apple's patents shouldn't have been awarded in the first place.
Lawyers from both sides will launch their arguments Thursday in a San Jose federal court. Some expect the case to end up before the U.S. Federal Circuit Court of Appeals and even potentially reach the U.S. Supreme Court.
Starbucks (SBUX) is trending as the coffee chain is planning on adding more than 1,500 locations in the U.S. over the next five years. The move will boost Starbucks' U.S. presence by 13%. Taking into account Canada and South America, the company plans to add a total of 3,000 new cafes by 2017. As part of its growth plans, Starbucks is also focusing on expansion in China, which is expected to surpass Canada as the company's second-largest market in the next two years. By that point, Starbucks intends to have taken its global store count to 20,000 from 18,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV