It's like choosing between Peyton and Eli Manning. But in this case, the younger, smaller brother prevails.
Despite some skepticism from the Wall Street Journal and other corners, eBay has been able to grow its earnings this year by double digits.
So far, eBay makes the grade for performance and valuation. But that is only two out of three parts of the stool. Let's look at the third: The chart.
eBay is in a very strong uptrend. The chart went sideways a few months ago and established a nice base. Then a week ago it broke out. (Let's hear it for PayPal! Owned by eBay.) It's a great chart. So that makes it a trifecta. I have one rule about stocks I just do not violate: I only buy stocks that have good charts. eBay has a great chart. Let others guess where Apple (AAPL) will bottom out. I'll wait and let the chart tell me. I'm in no hurry to lose money. Put all that together and that is why I like eBay as a conservative, large-cap growth stock. In my opinion-it is a BEST STOCK NOW. eBay's former CEO, Meg Whitman, is of course now trying to work her magic on HP (HPQ). I saw some HP shares listed on eBay the other day. Nobody was buying. And to think, HP used to be just as cute as eBay. Follow @BillGunderson This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV