Web radio dominates music consumption and sales. Bottom line. It is the present and future of the music and radio businesses. The music industry needs a healthy Internet radio space with far more competition than there is now (again, contrary to popular meme, Pandora dominates marketshare and then there's a smallish gaggle of everybody else).
Compulsory licensing -- with equitable rates across services -- regardless of how they deliver music (streaming, on-demand, etc.) needs to become the standard. Without it companies such as Spotify are held hostage by a music industry that acts in opposition to the musician's best interest. Thousands of small labels and independent acts do not, cannot and will not receive air play (or royalty compensation) under a direct licensing scheme.
Once this gets settled -- and it will -- Pandora becomes a buy. And, guess what, like most other hyper-growth companies with massive opportunity ripe for aggressive investment, it will trade at a lofty valuation. That will not and should not change.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV