REYKJAVIK, Iceland, Dec. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] and Icelandair announced a commitment today for 12 737 MAXs, valued at more than $1.2 billion at list prices. The commitment by the Icelandic carrier includes 737 MAX 8s and 9s. Boeing looks forward to working with Icelandair to finalize the details, at which time the order will be posted as a firm order to the Boeing Orders & Deliveries website.
"This commitment is the result of our research into what aircraft manufacturers have on offer to help us strengthen and grow our fleet and our network towards the future," said Bjorgolfur Johannsson, Icelandair Group president and CEO. "We have had a successful relationship with Boeing for decades and we are pleased to continue our cooperation for years to come."
The 737 MAX is a new-engine variant of the world's best-selling airplane and builds on the strengths of today's Next-Generation 737. The 737 MAX incorporates the latest-technology CFM International LEAP-1B engines to deliver the highest efficiency, reliability and passenger comfort in the single-aisle market. Airlines operating the 737 MAX will see a 13 percent fuel-use improvement over today's most fuel-efficient single-aisle airplanes.
"Over the past decades, Icelandair has successfully utilized its all-Boeing 757 fleet to establish its Reykjavik-based hub as an important gateway between Europe and North America," said Todd Nelp, vice president of European Sales, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "The introduction of the 737 MAX to Icelandair's operation will complement its existing 757 fleet and ensure the carrier's continued expansion across both continents, offering significant fuel saving with unrivaled passenger comfort."The 737 MAX also features the new Boeing Sky Interior. The sleek interior boasts modern lines, a spacious cabin with more headroom and LED lighting that offers vibrant color options.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV