The six largest banks in the U.S. have shed 24,000 jobs in the last year. Banks have laid off 300,000 worldwide since the crisis, according to an estimate by Bloomberg.
Early layoffs made sense in the wake of the crisis, as banks exited risky businesses in droves and focused on shrinking.
The latest downsizing efforts are more an attempt to eke out higher returns on equity.
But it is hard to imagine these cuts will be able to help banks deliver the kind of high returns that shareholders once enjoyed when banks levered up.Meanwhile banks are still a service business and they risk cutting to the bone with ad hoc payroll cuts. Most of Citigroup's layoffs, for instance, involve operations and tech support personnel. They may not be raking in the millions that traders do, but they serve a critical function as gatekeepers for the business. These are the employees who see that the bank's mortgage business adheres to the newly implemented servicing standards or that its brokerage keeps customer money separate from capital. Do away with the lot of them and we will have more "robo-signing" scandals, securities violations and trading errors that will eat into all the gains made from "efficiency saves" and then some. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV