However, in the meantime, Palo Alto will need to take more steps to increase its market share. To do that, the company must figure out ways to maintain revenue without significantly reducing costs and hurting margins. This is the only way for the stock to work in the long term and for the company to grow into its valuation, which, quite frankly, is still high. But we will see which direction it goes.
The company is expected to report fiscal first-quarter earnings on Thursday after the market close. The challenge will be to beat expectations while also raising its outlook if it wants to continue its momentum.
However, considering the tough macro-climate, which has resulted in very few beat-and-raise reports, it would be a surprise to see if Palo Alto can be one of the few to do it. I won't be holding my breath. Regardless, it would be very encouraging to see sustained revenue momentum coming in north of 30% year over year.
Will this be enough to excite a scared market? Nonetheless, the stock is worth a decent look at current levels. As I've said, it is not cheap by any means. But for long-term investors with a good appetite for risk, this is one that has the potential to pay off handsomely if a few things fall into place.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @rsaintvilus This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV