News Summary: Freeport-McMoRan To Buy Energy Firms
By The Associated Press
BY THE NUMBERS: Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. plans to buy Plains Exploration & Production Co. and McMoRan Exploration Co. for a combined $9 billion. The Phoenix mining company also will assume $11 billion in debt. The deal is expected to close next year.
BROADER PICTURE: The addition of the two companies will help Freeport-McMoRan diversify into the global market for natural gas without losing focus on its mining operations.
WHAT'S NEXT: Analysts say there could be some backlash from shareholders. The deal requires approval from shareholders at Plains Exploration and McMoRan but not from those at Freeport-McMoRan.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV