Car Insurance For 4.1 Cents A Mile
The traditional insurance rules still apply: Risky drivers pay more.
We couldn't resist doing the math. We compared car insurance rates for a 40-year-old male driving a Honda Accord in Portland's 97223 ZIP code through CarInsurance.com online quote engine and through MetroMile's online estimator.
Based on a 5,000-mile a year estimate, we found rates from $799 to $1,814 a year from major traditional insurers. While that includes a discount for self-reported low mileage, it doesn't reflect any savings from a pay-as-you-drive plan, which is calculated after the driver has enrolled and used the reporting device for a period of time.
MetroMile's pricing for the same coverage on the Accord driver is a base rate of $44.95 a month plus 4.1 cents per mile. At 5,000 miles a year, the cost would be $803.58. One nifty touch is that daily mileage is capped at 150 miles, so a trip across the mountains to Grandma's house doesn't become prohibitively expensive.Expect to see more of these kinds of high-tech savings plans as cars become ever more connected and insurers become ever more savvy about identifying and rewarding the safest drivers. (See “Plug in, drive less, save more.”) A previous effort, this one in Texas, closed its doors in April.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV