Prostate Cancer News: Interpreting PSA Test Results
NEW YORK, Dec. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- This spring, the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force (USPSTF) gave men a free pass on their annual prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test. Many prostate cancer treatment experts, including robotic surgeon, Dr. David Samadi, worry that pass could cost some men their lives. In the November Health Radar newsletter published by NewsmaxHealth, Dr. Samadi called the USPSTF recommendations "irresponsible" and detailed his conservative and thorough approach to analyzing PSA test results. If more widely applied, such protocol might yield better government support for the test that many call a life-saver.
An innovator in the field of robotic prostate surgery, Dr. Samadi performs his own Samadi Modified Advanced Robotic Technique (SMART) at New York's Mount Sinai Medical Center where he serves as Vice Chairman, Department of Urology and Chief of Robotics and Minimally Invasive Surgery. He is a firm believer in routine PSA screening and credits a portion of his prostate cancer surgery success to the life-saving opportunity afforded by early diagnosis.
However, Dr. Samadi is careful to explain the use of the PSA level in diagnosing the disease. "The PSA test is not a prostate cancer test," he says. "But it is a vital first step in identifying the potential presence of prostate cancer." He encourages men to seek the counsel of a physician with proven expertise in prostate cancer and PSA test analysis. Doing so, he says, can help avoid "knee-jerk reactions" and cookie-cutter treatments.To the readers of Health Radar, he offered these considerations for interpreting a higher-than-normal PSA:
- Prostate cancer is not the only cause of an elevated PSA
- PSA level can increase with prostatitis, BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia), or even recent sexual activity
- Elevated PSA can be addressed with antibiotics when no physical irregularity is noticed during physical exam
- Prostate biopsy should be performed only when a prostate nodule is present, the PSA level is non-responsive to antibiotics, and/or repeatedly high PSA test results are obtained
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV