- Plan your topics. Think of two to three topics you can discuss with anyone.
- Keep it lighthearted. Avoid office gossip and controversial topics. Stay clear of topics related to sex, religion and politics.
- Meet someone new. Take the initiative to introduce yourself to the CEO. Or talk to someone new while waiting in the food line.
- Spark a conversation. Ask open-ended questions about the person you're getting to know.
- Listen attentively. Ask follow-up questions about the person or group you're conversing with. Listen more than you talk.
- Be gracious. If you're recognized for your accomplishments, gracefully accept the praise, thank the host and acknowledge your manager and your team.
- Introduce others. Be sure to introduce a newcomer to those you're conversing with.
- Consider cultural differences. Take into account figures of speech, how you present humor and personal space.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Know your drink limit or avoid alcohol altogether to keep your composure.
Toastmasters Tips For Mastering Party Talk
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts