Varga added, "The company chose to make this payment in calendar 2012 because of the uncertainty surrounding future dividend tax rates. Even after this special dividend, we retain ample capital capacity to make long-term investments in our business, such as the current expansion of the Jack Daniel Distillery and strategic acquisitions."
BFB reported its latest quarterly earnings after the market opened. Analysts had been looking for an estimated 78 cents per share for the quarter that ended Oct. 31 -- the company reported 80 cents. Out of 12 analysts that rate BFB, one gives it a "strong buy," one a "buy", and seven a "hold."
Its 2.29 PEG ratio (five-year expected) looks high to me even though its supported by an operating margin (trailing 12-month) of 30% and a profit margin of 20%. Optimists might suggest the current fiscal dramas and economic conditions may drive more people to drink, but it would take some tremendous earnings growth going forward to support a PE ratio of over 23.BFB's timely and generous dividend-paying decisions have undoubtedly been one of the big attractions to this stock. By the way, if you have insomnia or SDB, a shot of Jack Daniel's before bedtime is probably the opposite of what you should be doing. In 1959 it may have been my grandpa's only option. Today, thanks to the advances in sleep medicine, there are safer, more effective treatment methods available. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage. Jim Cramer's protege, Dave Peltier, finds you Stocks Under $10 picks with explosive upside potential. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV