MCLEAN, Va., Dec. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- USA TODAY High School Sports has crowned the winners in each state and the District of Columbia in its search for the best high school football rivalry in the country, and now those 51 rivalries are headed to the regional round to narrow the competition even further.
The USA TODAY High School Sports search to determine the nation's best high school football rivalry began on Nov. 19 and will continue through Dec. 19. The two teams ultimately determined by online voting to be America's best high school football rivalry will earn $10,000 ( $5,000 to each school) in athletic department funding, as well as national coverage of the game in USA TODAY Sports in 2013 and a specially-designed trophy to be held by the rivalry's winner each year going forward.
Three rivalries had been chosen for each state and Washington D.C., by the editorial staff of USA TODAY High School Sports, with fans voting in the state round for two weeks. The state voting closed on Monday, Dec. 3, and the regional round—dividing the 51 winning rivalries among North, South, Midwest and West regions—will open today at 11 a.m. EST and end next Wednesday, Dec. 12.
The four regional winners will advance to the national round, and the winner of the national round will be named the nation's top high school football rivalry at 11 a.m. EST on Dec. 19.Fans can vote for their favorite high school football rivalry at http://contest.usatodayhss.com/. The state winners advancing to the regional round include the following:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV