Separately, LPS also noted that while home prices were on track to gaining 5-7% in 2012, overall sales volume remained low. "During the past 12 months, there have been approximately 4.1 million residential real estate sales, less than half the annualized rate at the market's peak in November 2005. Further, 1.3 million of those transactions have been distressed sales, compared to just 226,000 at the peak," the report said.
Home prices are still nearly 23 percent off their June 2006 peak, it noted.
-- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York. RELATED LINKS:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV