This Day On The Street
Continue to site right-arrow
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here
TheStreet Open House

Split Time: Kids, Custody And Insurance

If you're divvying up assets and liabilities during a divorce settlement, you'll also have to think about how to split insurance coverage for your kids.

Arranging health insurance is usually fairly smooth sailing during divorce proceedings, but reaching an agreement on car insurance can face stiff headwinds, says James McGinnis, a partner in the Atlanta family law firm of Warner, Bates, McGough & McGinnis. (See: " Love hurts: 5 insurance heartaches.")

Health insurance tends to be a breeze because "one parent will be obligated to provide health insurance for minor children," McGinnis says.

That will typically fall to the parent who has historically been responsible for providing health insurance for the children, he says, and normally couples will have made that decision based on whichever parent has the better health insurance coverage.

Payments for those medical expenses that aren't covered by health insurance are divided between the parents.  In the past, the costs routinely had been shared 50-50, McGinnis says.

But these days it's more likely that the parents will pay those bills in proportion to their individual incomes. So if Dad is the main breadwinner and Mom still works part time, he may pay 80 percent of the cost and she'll pick up the remaining 20 percent.

Things can get more complicated if parents share custody of the children and one parent moves out of state.

If the health insurance company that typically covers the children doesn't write insurance policies in the new state, it will be up to the parents to figure out how to get health insurance coverage for the children in the new state, and then they'll likely head back to court to work out the details.

"The cost of (health) insurance is always factored into the child support that is paid," McGinnis says.

And parents need to keep in mind that under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, their children can remain on their health insurance policies until they reach the age of 26, regardless of whether the adult children are eligible to be covered by another health insurance plan, McGinnis says.

1 of 3

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Try it NOW
Only $9.95
Try it NOW
14-Days Free
Try it NOW

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Options Profits

Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.

Product Features:
  • Actionable options commentary and news
  • Real-time trading community
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
Try it NOW
To begin commenting right away, you can log in below using your Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, OpenID or Yahoo login credentials. Alternatively, you can post a comment as a "guest" just by entering an email address. Your use of the commenting tool is subject to multiple terms of service/use and privacy policies - see here for more details.
Submit an article to us!


DOW 17,682.43 +4.20 0.02%
S&P 500 2,057.13 +0.98 0.05%
NASDAQ 4,872.7960 +9.4340 0.19%

Partners Compare Online Brokers

Free Reports

Free Newsletters from TheStreet

My Subscriptions:

After the Bell

Before the Bell

Booyah! Newsletter

Midday Bell

TheStreet Top 10 Stories

Winners & Losers

Register for Newsletters
Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs