Today, updated overall survival (OS) data for FASLODEX ® (fulvestrant) Injection in patients with hormone receptor-positive advanced breast cancer whose disease progressed or recurred following prior endocrine therapy was presented at the 35 th CTRC-AACR San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium by the principal investigator, Angelo Di Leo, MD, Head of the Sandro Pitigliani Medical Oncology Unit. 1,2,3
The final updated CONFIRM OS, performed at 75% maturity (after a minimum follow up duration of 50 months), showed a 19% relative reduction in the risk of death (hazard ratio (HR) 0.81; 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.69-0.96). No adjustments were made for multiplicity, therefore these data cannot be considered statistically significant. The median OS for FASLODEX 500 mg and 250 mg was 26.4 months and 22.3 months, respectively. 2
FASLODEX 500 mg increased progression-free survival, the primary end point in CONFIRM, with a relative risk reduction of 20% (hazard ratio [HR] 0.80; 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.68-0.94; p=0.006) compared with FASLODEX 250 mg. Median progression free survival with FASLODEX 500 mg was found to be 6.5 months compared with 5.5 months with FASLODEX 250 mg.
FASLODEX 500 mg is indicated for the treatment of hormone receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer in postmenopausal women with disease progression following antiestrogen therapy. FASLODEX is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to the drug or to any of its components. Hypersensitivity reactions, including urticaria and angioedema have been reported in association with FASLODEX. Please see additional Important Safety Information below.Dr Angelo Di Leo said: “We are encouraged by these data showing that fulvestrant 500 mg was associated with a 4.1-month improvement in median OS and a 19% relative reduction in the risk of death compared with fulvestrant 250 mg. Overall, with these latest data being consistent with previous OS analysis, it further increases our confidence in these findings.” 2 “Breast cancer continues to be the leading cause of cancer death in women around the world. 4 These data from the final overall survival analysis of CONFIRM, provide further support for the role of FASLODEX 500 mg in extending lives of appropriate patients with metastatic breast cancer, a devastating disease,” said Yuri Rukazenkov, MD, Medical Science Director, AstraZeneca (NYSE: AZN). CONFIRM was a Phase III, randomized, double-blind, parallel-group, multicenter trial comparing FASLODEX 500 mg (n=362) and 250 mg (n=374) in postmenopausal women with estrogen receptor-positive advanced breast cancer, whose disease progressed or recurred following prior endocrine therapy. OS was a secondary endpoint in the CONFIRM trial and was initially analyzed at 50% maturity after a minimum follow-up duration of 18 months. 1 The updated analysis of OS data from CONFIRM presented today at SABCS was undertaken to obtain final survival data at 75% maturity after a minimum follow-up duration of 50 months. 2 Important Safety Information About FASLODEX ® (fulvestrant) Injection
- FASLODEX is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to the drug or to any of its components. Hypersensitivity reactions, including urticaria and angioedema have been reported in association with FASLODEX
- Because FASLODEX is administered intramuscularly, it should be used with caution in patients with bleeding diatheses, thrombocytopenia, or in patients on anticoagulants
- FASLODEX is metabolized primarily in the liver. A 250-mg dose is recommended in patients with moderate hepatic impairment. FASLODEX has not been evaluated in patients with severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh Class C)
- Fetal harm can occur when administered to a pregnant woman. Women should be advised of the potential hazard to the fetus and to avoid becoming pregnant while receiving FASLODEX
- The most common, clinically significant adverse reactions occurring in ≥5% of patients receiving FASLODEX were: injection site pain, nausea, bone pain, arthralgia, headache, back pain, fatigue, pain in extremity, hot flash, vomiting, anorexia, asthenia, musculoskeletal pain, cough, dyspnea, and constipation
- Increased hepatic enzymes (ALT, AST, ALP) occurred in >15% of FASLODEX users and were non dose-dependent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV