In contrast, Pandora shares fell nearly 20% in after-hours trading on Monday, after the company beat third quarter earnings estimates, but cut its full year guidance sharply as a result of content costs and ad market headwinds.
The Oakland, California company said it's 2012 loss will be between 9 cents to 12 cents a share, nearly doubling previous estimates detailed in August. Pandora also cut its sales outlook to $422 million to $425 million from as much as $432 million, forecasted earlier in the year.
While subscribers grew 85% in the quarter and mobile ad sales rose over 100, those figures weren't enough to offset content costs. Royalties paid to music labels now represent 55% of the company's revenue and continue to hinder Pandora's overall profitability. Royalty costs and uncertain ad revenue create an uncertain financial piscture for the company headed into 2013.
Yesterday's earnings didn't help. BTIG analyst Richard Greenfield took to Twitter to complain that Pandora wouldn't take analyst questions on its conference call Monday evening. "Pandora management chooses not to take our questions on their quarterly earnings call," wrote Greenfield on Twitter. He characterized the lack of a Q&A as 'frustrating.""
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV