Cash-based gifts are popular options this year
TORONTO, Dec. 5, 2012 /CNW/ - Around this time of year, Canadians may start bracing themselves to receive gifts they don't like, such as the dreaded tacky sweater. If faced with this situation, the majority of Canadians (79 per cent) will smile and thank the gift giver, regift, return the present, or throw it out, according to an RBC pre-holiday shopping poll. One-fifth of respondents (21 per cent) said they rarely face this situation since they make their wish lists known ahead of time.
"We all want to give and receive gifts that will be appreciated and enjoyed, yet we've all been faced with some version of the ugly holiday sweater present," said Anne Koski, head, Business and Prepaid Cards at RBC. "One option to avoid the guesswork and the hassles of holiday shopping is a gift card."
For gift-givers who aren't lucky enough to be provided with gift suggestions, many choose to give a gift card when they want to give choice to the recipient (37 per cent), when they're not sure of what to buy (36 per cent), when they can't decide on an actual gift (28 per cent), or when they run out of time (11 per cent).Cash-based gifts are set to be a popular option this holiday season with almost two-thirds (65 per cent) of Canadians planning to give gift cards and one-quarter (26 per cent) handing out cash gifts. These types of gifts may be an easy way to reduce consumer frustrations that are often associated with holiday shopping. While one-in-10 (12 per cent) Canadians surveyed said they love holiday shopping, the majority list multiple reasons on how this time of year annoys them, including the following:
- 48 per cent of Canadians surveyed say they are frustrated by the mall and long lineups
- 44 per cent don't know what to buy
- 33 per cent say they have difficult people to buy for
- 22 per cent have trouble finding the right item (such as size or colour)
- 25 per cent feel challenged with managing their holiday budget
- 13 per cent don't have enough time to shop
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts