SEATTLE, Dec. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- "Turn off the electronics on the ride to Grandmother's house; people who isolate themselves have a higher risk of developing dementia," says Dr. Paul Nussbaum, director of brain health for Emeritus Senior Living and clinical neuropsychologist and adjunct professor of neurological surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. "Face-to-face interaction and maintaining your family network are beneficial for the brain. So shut off the entertainment devices and spend time talking to each other."
Nussbaum emphasizes that long holiday car trips provide an excellent opportunity for a brain-health session for the whole family. Dr. Nussbaum offers the following tips:
Create stories: One family member can start telling a tale and the others can take turns continuing and finishing it. Engaging in creativity is an important brain workout.
Invent games: It turns out the traditional car game of counting license plates is good for the brain, because there is a link between mental stimulation and reduced risk of dementia.Get exercise: Pull off the road every couple of hours and have everyone stretch and even do some jumping jacks. Physical activity lowers the likelihood of dementia. Avoid road food: Pack sandwiches with lean meat and food rich in anti-oxidants, such as apples, grapes, cantaloupe and berries, for brain-healthy lunch and snacks on the road. A recent study found markers of Alzheimer's in mice who consumed a diet with high levels of fat similar to that of fast food. "The brain is highly dynamic, constantly reorganizing, and shaped by environmental input," Dr. Nussbaum says. "So engaging in cognitive fitness on road trips is a great way to put your family on the road to better brain health and lowered risk of dementia."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV