United Spinal Statement: Senate Vote On The Convention On The Rights Of Persons With Disabilities Treaty
NEW YORK, Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- United Spinal Association is extremely disappointed that the Senate failed today by a vote of 61-38 to ratify the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).
"Opposition to ratification of the treaty is based on several extreme assertions by the far right, including that ratifying the CRPD would endanger U.S. sovereignty and that parents would lose their ability to make decisions for their children with disabilities. These assertions are absolutely false," said Paul J. Tobin, United Spinal CEO and President.
The CRPD embodies the protections and opportunities available through the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), but on a global scale. CRPD is a treaty created by the United Nations that protects the rights of people living with disabilities, including: equal treatment and non-discrimination in access to justice, health, education, employment, and rehabilitation.Ratification of the CRPD treaty is supported by over 300 disability organizations, 21 veterans organizations, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and many other national leaders and organizations.
- CRPD would have improved access for disabled veterans and other Americans with disabilities that live, work, or travel abroad.
- The treaty is critical to maintaining America's leadership role on disability rights and to eliminating disability discrimination throughout the world.
- Ratification of the CRPD treaty would present the opportunity for a reaffirmation of the values inherent in the Americans with Disabilities Act and provide the forum to advance them worldwide.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts