Since launching its new console, Nintendo (NTDOY) confirmed that it sold 400,000 Wii U consoles. The original Wii sold 300,000 units during Black Friday. Sony (SNE) fared better. The Playstation 3 maker sold 525,000 units during the week of Black Friday, along with 160,000 Vitas. There are currently 70 million PS3 sold worldwide, cumulatively. Microsoft (MSFT) sold 750,000 Xbox 360 consoles during the Black Friday weekend, and 960,000 for the week.
At the end of last week, Nintendo shares sold off, continuing the profit taking after peaking at $17.63 on October 5 2012:
Analysis:Investors will need to look for sales to remain steady for Nintendo’s new console. The company has created an advantage for itself by pushing innovation for the gaming experience, ahead of Sony and Microsoft. Budget-conscious consumers are price-sensitive. A discounted Xbox or Playstation that dubs as an entertainment centre will hurt Nintendo. Nintendo released a Wii mini (only available in Canada) for $99, which should help the company remain competitive even in the budget segment of the market. Game sales will also be important. Nintendo is taking a loss on every Wii U unit sale. The low price for the 3DS and the original Wii should help sustain game sales for the older console. Business Section: Investing Ideas Nintendo is a pure-play console play for investors, while Sony and Microsoft have more diversified businesses. 1. Nintendo Co (NTDOY, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Mainly engaged in the development, manufacture and sale of entertainment products in home entertainment field. Market cap at $16.6B, most recent closing price at $14.95. 2. Sony Corporation (SNE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Designs, develops, manufactures, and sells electronic equipment, instruments, and devices for consumer, professional, and industrial markets worldwide. Market cap at $9.73B, most recent closing price at $9.69.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV