Railway on track to achieve mid-60s OR for 2016
NEW YORK, Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ - Canadian Pacific (TSX:CP)(NYSE:CP) President and CEO E. Hunter Harrison today outlined CP's go-forward plan for change that will greatly improve service, increase the railway's efficiency, lower cost and grow the business.
"Momentum is building at Canadian Pacific and the organization is driving to a culture of intense focus on operations. Service will be what drives this organization, by providing a premium, reliable product offering through a lower cost operation," Harrison said. "We have initiated a rapid change agenda and have made tremendous progress in my first 160 days, and we are only getting started."
Progress Already Underway Harrison provided various examples of steps taken over the past five months highlighting CP's evolution to a more competitive railway, including the following:
- New executive leadership team now in place including a new Senior Operations lead team with a mandate for centralized planning and decentralized execution, to eliminate bureaucracy and have service decisions made faster and closer to the customer;
- Revamped intermodal and merchandise train service resulting in faster transit times for customers - example of new intermodal services connecting Vancouver to Chicago or Toronto;
- Closure of hump-switching yards in Toronto, Winnipeg, Calgary and Chicago - producing significant cost savings and more efficient operating practices;
- Closure of intermodal terminals in Milwaukee, Obico ( Toronto), and Schiller Park ( Chicago) - reducing footprint and operating expenses while also facilitating efficient operating practices and reduced end-to-end transit times;
- Improved train service and network velocity resulting in the need for 195 fewer locomotives and 3,200 fewer leased rail cars - current stored, year-to-date lease returned and declared surplus locomotive units total 460.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV