LANSING, Mich., Dec. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Utility workers deserve the same protection and respect from drivers that police, firefighters and construction workers receive. That was the message delivered today to the Michigan House Energy and Technology Committee by Vince Dow, DTE Energy vice president and chief engineer of distribution operations, and Dean Bradley, business manager, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 17.
Committee Chairman Ken Horn, R- Frankenmuth, invited the officials to testify in support of House Resolution 330, which would establish Dec. 6 as "Utility Worker Safety Awareness Day." The resolution urges drivers to "slow down and go around" utility workers, just as they do for police, fire trucks and ambulances.
Dow told the committee that safety is the highest priority at DTE Energy, and while the company and employees work hard to minimize risks, utility workers face inherent dangers on the job. "I have been in this industry for over 30 years," he said. "Sadly, I have lost coworkers in their efforts to provide energy to the public we serve. I have been with families that have lost sons and loved ones dedicated to providing our service to the residents of this great state. I have also been threatened by passing vehicles and dangerous situations and I can tell you that the memory of these things stays with me."
Dow thanked the committee for brining attention to this issue. "We are proud that you are considering honoring the men and women who deliver these essential services to the communities we serve. We have long believed that protecting the public even in those dangerous situations is an obligation and privilege that we embrace. Working on a road side with cars whipping by as you are trying to repair or install energy service can be treacherous."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV