In macro-economic terms, we're moving income expected for 2013 into 2012, meaning that more wealth is being created, and more taxes paid, this month than in many, many years. It's a tribute to dysfunctional government.
Next year will take care of itself. There is no evidence that people suddenly stop working, or fire people, or divest themselves of all they possess because marginal tax rates go up. If they did there would be a lot more Buddhas sitting under trees, in the Caymans and elsewhere.
Those who quit the game are, I guess, announcing their satiation, which is what Adam Smith was counting on. There will be other, younger opportunists ready to take their place. There is nothing so special about Larry Ellison or Sheldon Adelson that someone else wouldn't be glad to step into their shoes, even if they have to pay more in taxes, and take that income, and build new businesses.
To that extent, what's going on is a very profitable temper tantrum, a disgorgement of cash that's been cluttering corporate balance sheets for years.I guess what I'm saying is hooray for the "fiscal cliff" and all those who are jumping off it. You're making me money, and I thank you for it. As for the rest of you ordinary investors, get in there and buy something. They're throwing money at you. Take it. At the time of publication, the author was long COST. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV