News Summary: Australia Cuts Key Interest Rate
By The Associated Press
THE MOVE: Australia's central bank cut its benchmark interest rate by a quarter percentage point Tuesday, taking it to 3 percent. That's the lowest level since April 2009, during the global financial crisis.
THE REASON: Slower growth in China, uncertainty over the U.S. economic outlook and stubbornly weak conditions in Europe are hurting the Australian economy.
THE BACKGROUND: Chinese demand for mineral resources, particularly iron ore, fueled a mining boom in Australia during the global downturn. But with growth slowing in China and commodity prices lower, economists worry that Australia's mining boom will soon end.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV