Local. Local. Local. That's the point lots of people miss in conversations about businesses such as Pandora and Foursquare. These companies, like Twitter and Facebook, will compete for and secure national ad buys. However, local is a critically important battleground.
The only way you win local is to put hustling feet on the street. It's an expensive proposition. Pandora -- and terrestrial radio before it -- serves as a model on how to do it well, but the company has been building its infrastructure for years.
More important than its first-mover advantage, though, Pandora brings value to prospective clients. Personalized radio powered by a proprietary and wholly unique system. It not only targets users, it superserves them; it can sell the same proposition, inversely, to advertisers.
Foursquare simply is not there yet. Not even close. In an increasingly crowded mobile new/social media marketplace with aggressive and exciting new entrants, you no longer have the luxury of time.More startups will succeed over the next one to five years than ever before, but many more will fail. As it stands, Foursquare could end up wallowing in the latter group. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV