Weak social engagement. Twitter, Facebook and even random others have it covered. Strike one.
Foursquare needs to be more than a check-in app. It needs to be, like Pandora (P), hyper-focused on discovery and personalization.
When I need to know my surroundings, I call up Google Maps when I want to type and I holler at Apple's Siri when I want to speak.Consider the experience with Siri. I say, "Directions to an Italian Restaurant" and, within seconds, it spits out a list and directs me to tap the one I want directions too. At that point, I can say, "Play 'Scenes From an Italian Restaurant' " and it pulls up the Billy Joel classic in my iTunes library. By the time I get to my destination, Foursquare, now an afterthought, never really had the chance to do anything for me. Strike two. There's more to cover in category B, such as you go to Yelp (YELP) for reviews and Open Table (OPEN) for reservations. Foursquare owns none of this. None of it. But, we only have time for A. And that will not take long. I live in Santa Monica, part of the booming Southern California metropolis. It's next to impossible to find check-in deals at local businesses when I fire up Foursquare. I check in, get points, find out if I'm the "Mayor" and check out. Am I just located in one of those odd geographic pockets where few check-in specials exist? Has Foursquare still not built out an advertising sales team large enough to saturate the nation's second largest market? Whatever the answer, it's a problem. The future of mobile platforms such as Foursquare and Pandora is local. Foursquare needs to do better than "Promoted" businesses -- an obvious Twitter knock-off with far less appeal, hidden under the "Explore" tab of the only-slightly-intuitive Foursquare app.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV