Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC), the second-largest cable operator in the United States, has been named among the nation’s “Best Places To Work” for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people by the Human Rights Campaign’s 2013 Corporate Equality Index. This marks the first year that the company earns a 100 percent score – a 10 percent increase from last year.
The 2013 index, which looks at the policies and practices that impact LGBT employees across hundreds of large U.S. corporations, is considered a trusted benchmark for measuring the inclusion of LGBT employees. The criteria that were used to determine companies' scores included looking at equal employment opportunity policies, employment benefits for workers and their spouses/partners, transgender-inclusive health insurance, public commitment and responsible citizenship.
“We can’t be more proud to be awarded such an important recognition by the Human Rights Campaign,” said Peter Stern, Executive Vice President and Chief Strategy, People and Corporate Development Officer at Time Warner Cable. “Our 100 percent score clearly exemplifies our commitment and dedication to diversity and inclusion in our workplace. We are honored to be in the company of peers who are equally devoted to the LGBT community.”
Time Warner Cable has a deep tradition of strong diversity engagement and support. Some of Time Warner Cable’s LGBT initiatives through our Employee Networks include:OUT@TWC Carolinas
- Hosted four lunch and learns: Legal Issues Affecting the LGBT Community; Current Legislation Affecting the LGBT Community; Same Sex Parenting; and Domestic Partner Benefits
- Participated in community events: NC Pride; OutRaleigh; Charlotte Pride; HRC Gala; NC Equality Gala; and 5 th Annual Happening
- Increased membership from 100 to almost 150 members
- Supported the Charlotte Lesbian and Gay Fund
- Helped build interest around starting OUT@TWC groups in Ohio, Wisconsin, Texas, Kentucky, and California
- Partnered with the Time Warner Cable Diversity and Inclusion Council for the Time Warner Cable Taste of Charlotte
- Marched in the NYC Pride March
- Sponsored a team for the NYC Aids Walk
- Added transgender benefits coverage for 2013