1. XL Group
Shares of XL Group PLC (XL) of Dublin closed at $24.31 Monday, returning 25% year-to-date.
The shares trade for 0.7 times their reported Sept. 30 fully diluted tangible book value of $32.82, and for 10 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $2.36. The consensus 2014 EPS estimate is $2.51.
Cohen called XL Group his "top name" among P&C carriers, "looking at both risk and reward," saying that the company was a "turnaround story, with the shares trading at 70% of last reported book value, there appears to be some lasting skepticism among investors regarding XL's ability to improve its returns, most notably in its insurance business where margins have lagged peers."
XL Group reported earnings attributed to ordinary shareholders of $569.7 million, or $1.82 a share, for the first nine months of 2012, increasing from a profit of $40.8 million, or 13 cents a share, during the first nine months of 2011. For its P&C business, the company reported an underwriting profit of $306.8 million during the first three quarters, compared to an underwriting loss of $283.2 million a year earlier, while the combined ratio improved to 92.7% from 107.2%.Cohen said that "given the continued momentum in commercial insurance pricing and our view that price increases will remain ahead of claims inflation, we would expect the fundamental backdrop to remain favorable for XL's efforts to improve margins. The analyst's price target for XL group is $30, and he estimates the company's adjusted tangible book value will increase from $33.01 at the end of 2012 to $35.79 at the end of 2013. XL data by YCharts
Interested in more on XL Group? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV